Services‎ > ‎

2) What to do, Registering the Death & Arranging the Funeral


In Hospital

If the death occurs in hospital, the hospital staff will contact the person named by the deceased as next of kin. A doctor will issue the medical certificate via the bereavement office. If a doctor who has treated the deceased is unable to issue a death certificate the death will be reported to HM Coroner for that district.

 At Home or in a Nursing Home
If the death was expected, contact the doctor who attended the deceased during their final illness, if the death occurred at a Nursing Home the staff will contact the doctor. If the doctor can certify the cause of death you will be given: A Medical Certificate that shows the cause of death (this will be in a sealed envelope, addressed to the registrar)


Before attending the Registrar, an appointment must usually always be made. The death must normally be registered in the area where it occurred, not the area of residence. Some Registrars require an appointment, we can advise you on this. If the death occurred at a distance it is possible to register by declaration but this can take some time.

Once the death has been registered the Registrar will issue you with:
A certificate for Burial or Cremation (known as the Green Form, which you will need to hand to us
A certificate for Registration of Death - which is for use when the deceased was in receipt of benefits from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) or where adjustments are required to benefits claimed by the next of kin. 

Click on this link for more advice by Bromley
Bromley Register Office, Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH. Tel 020 8313 4666. Who also offer the Tell them once service.
When someone has died, there are lots of organisations that need to be told at a time when you probably least feel like doing this. We are providing a service called Tell Us Once to make things easier for you and to reduce the amount of time you need to spend contacting these government departments and organisations.

Arranging A Funeral       

Our job is to take care of the practical arrangements for you. This means advising you of the options and choices for the funeral and seeing the arrangements are made in accordance with your wishes, and with the wishes of the person who has died. 

What you will need to think about:
will it be burial or cremation, if burial do you have a grave, and if so where is it and what is the grave number? If it is to be a cremation which crematorium would you like it to be at? would you like a church service, if so where, or would you prefer a service at the crematorium/cemetery chapel, or a non-religious service?
do you know of a minister you would like to take the service, or would you like us to arrange someone for you? do you have a preference on the day, date and time of the funeral?


If there is already a family grave available, we will require details of it's location and the grave deed and number. However, if you require a new grave we will need to know from you the type of the grave you wish to be purchased (i.e. single depth, double or more) and where you wish this to be.
You will need to choose which Crematorium you wish the service to be held at. Most crematoria have a chapel in which a service may be held. You may wish to use this if you do not require a service in church (or other venue). You may also use the crematorium for a committal only (no service). The Crematorium also provides a music facility either in the form of an organist or CD player on which music of your choice can be played. For longer services additional time may be booked at the Crematorium Chapels, at an extra cost.

Flowers & Donations

We can arrange flowers for you. Please go to Floral Tributes on the main menu or Books are available for you to make your choice and also a selection of cards for your personal messages.

Instead of flowers you may wish to ask mourners to make donations to a charity of your choice or of their choice. These donations can be dealt with by ourselves, we will record them and forward them on to the charity on your behalf.